The Valley Symphony Orchestra is hiring! We are looking for the next addition to our small and dedicated team working to support classical music and the arts in the Rio Grande Valley. If you are organized, friendly, and want to make a unique contribution in your day-to-day work, we want to meet you! Familiarity with classical music is not necessary but certainly helps. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than June 30, 2021. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis; interested individuals should apply asap!
The Valley Symphony Orchestra is a professional arts organization located in McAllen, Texas. The VSO staff support Maestro Peter Dabrowski and 70+ musicians in executing a season of performances that includes 5 subscription concerts, 6 education concerts, an annual fundraising gala and several special events. VSO staff are responsible for all marketing, producing, fundraising, financial management, and administrative matters of the organization. The VSO performs in McAllen’s state of the art Performing Arts Center, a 1,800 seat venue situated among the city’s convention center, shops, and restaurants. McAllen, a bi-national community located in the heart of the Rio Grande Valley, is located on the border of Texas and Mexico.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains financial files of the VSO and ensures that all necessary paperwork for bookkeeping is sent electronically to contract bookkeeper, with oversight from Operations Manager.
- Manages A/P and A/R for the organization.
- Process in-office transactions including subscription sales, donations, gala table sales, and others as needed. Provides daily revenue report.
- Prepares call sheets for Executive Director on a weekly basis.
- Prepares and makes bank deposits as needed.
- Executes organizational purchases with oversight and approval of Executive Director.
- Provides administrative support to the Executive Director and Board of Directors including meetings scheduling, catering, and assembling and distributing paperwork.
- Maintains the board of directors’ minutes and reports files.
- Serves as VSO receptionist, answering and routing phones, forwarding messages, and greeting and providing service to patrons.
- Prepares office correspondence as needed.
- Manage contact lists, letterhead, and other standing VSO documents.
- Manage VSO inventory and provides reports as needed.
- Ensures VSO office is well stocked, neat, and runs smoothly, coordinates vendors such as water services, recycling pickup, and copier servicing.
- Collects and routes mail.
- Prepares and send gift acknowledgements for the annual fund.
- Provides administrative support for the annual gala and tracks table sales and acknowledgements.
- Manages the information table at VSO concerts and provides customer service as needed.
- Provides ticketing support as needed.
- Staffs special events as needed.
- High level of personal integrity with a deep commitment to transparency and accountability
- Ability to work as a trusted member of a team and take responsibility for shared outcomes
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment and manage multiple priorities at once
- Ability to solve problems while communicating confidence to patrons, board members, and other key constituents
- Commitment to maintaining a professional standard of quality for the patron experience, VSO print and web communications, and interactions with key stakeholders
Required Skills and Abilities
- 3+ years relevant work experience (advanced education may compensate for some work experience)
- Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Word, Adobe PDF and Acrobat, Google Chrome, and Google Docs
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent and genuine customer service skills
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate (written and verbal) in Spanish
- Experience with e-communications and website platforms, including Basecamp and Gmail
- Familiarity with classical music and symphony orchestras
- Ability to learn and successfully utilize a patron database software program
- Ability to work night and weekend events
This position is full-time, hourly, includes paid holidays and vacation, phone stipend, health insurance, dental insurance, long-term and short-term disability and life insurance. The VSO provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 30, 2021. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis; interested individuals should apply asap. No phone calls please.